I've been really struggling to get motivated lately, it's been so dull here with mostly 100% low lying cloud cover, which has been reflected in the choice of colour of a miniature throw I've been crocheting, and everything else has been lying about for a month waiting to be photographed. It's been slow.........I have a "go at it hammer and tongs" attitude, which drained me for a month after this lot was made. I also gave myself some serious crick neck after a full day of crocheting....... :D I've been moping about, spying on you all, envying your productivity and enthusiasm over the Easter period, I assume everyone had nicer weather than me!!!!! :D On reflection though, I have noticed quite a few people have felt the same way as me in regards to miniature creating......YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! :D
I "needed" a potting table for the conservatory, and having decided that this room is going to be a junky, shabby, rustic, vintage, cumulative space (much like the rest of the house, really), then a washstand that has been "possibly lying in someone elses outhouse for years" would be perfect. My imaginary miniature homemaker does a lot of thrift shopping actually, hence why we have no idea what era this house is in.
|I am going to blame the camera for making that right leg wonky. I'm pretty sure it is the camera causing that. :D|
|I think at some stage I will darken the handles, because guess what, I don't like them. :D|
|I'm also not sure about the overall colour, but I was using paint I already had, no more buying paint!!! It does look better in it's proper surroundings in the conservatory.|
|A lavender trough. The trough is made using card, thread for the rim, and tiny bead caps, beads and wire rings, for the handles at either end, then painted in humbrol paints.|
The lavender foliage is Lycopodium moss, which I painted with a white wash, quite badly... :D
The lavender stems are painted wire, and the wrong colour.
I had seen a few tutorials, including this one, to make lavender using no hole beads or Flower Soft, but there does come a time, when you just can't buy anymore "materials" that you know you probably won't use again. So I used thread, and it works really well. I dabbed my forefinger in PVA glue and ran a long length of purplish thread between my forefinger and thumb, so that it was coated lightly. You can also colour white thread in watercolour paint, in the same way.
Once the thread was dry, I wound it around a few fingers so I would have a bunch of loops, which I then held together tightly, so all the strands were together, and then snipped away closely with scissors to create a lavender coloured flocking powder. Using a bit of glue on the thread prevents the thread from fraying, and keeps the cut clean, so it is important that the glue is dry. Then you can just apply glue to the end of the stems and apply the flock. I actually think this is much more effective at creating Lavender flowers, than Flower Soft and no hole beads, and certainly cheaper and more convenient. I just have to work on my greenery paint tones :D
|I have this fantastic book of crochet stitches, by Betty Barnden, which I actually bought when I was going through a scarf making phase. Just thought I would do a little ad for it here, as I'm about to show a page from it.......|
|I'm making my first proper miniature throw, using this terribly, exciting shade of grey! I kept my stitches a little loose, using the 0.4mm hook, as I was afraid that the blanket would end up more akin to a rug.|
|...and even then it still practically stands up on its own. Hopefully, when it is finished, I can stretch and block it so that the drape is looser.|
P.s. I have quite a few new followers since I last posted, many thanks for adding me! There are a few of you that have no link for a blog, when I click on the icon, I have noticed this happening for awhile now with new followers, so if you don't see a black cat shape with glowing eyes on your followers list, please leave a comment with a link to your blog, thanks :)